A brief report: I’m spending a couple of days with my cousin VZ. That’s the one who fell asleep while I was reading her the first pages of my work in progress two years ago.
I posted about the incident here even as she was snoring away in the other bed–we were sharing a hotel room after attending a bridal shower that afternoon–and I hated to do it but felt it served her right. There’s a certain deference due to writers, and that night she didn’t give me any at all.
Nonetheless, I came to officiate at VZ’s cataract surgery. Experience allows me to say things like, There’s nothing to it, and, Don’t worry, and, They’ll give you enough Valium, you won’t care what they’re doing. I’m also an expert eye drop dropper. Steady hand, good aim, all that.
Surgery took place this morning and all went well. Waiting went well, too, because the ophthalmologist’s office had Wi-Fi and I had my Chromebook. We spent the afternoon doing drops and sleeping. I was supposed to be reading a book but I suppose Valium is contagious. Fortunately, her prescription read every two hours when awake.
VZ crashed again two hours ago. It’s approaching ten o’clock, so I am waking up, as I tend to do about this time every night. I’ll read for a while but will retire in about a half-hour. It’s important that I be awake and alert in the morning. VZ wakes early and will need her eye drops, three different drugs, each with its own set of instructions.
And at present I’m the only one of us who can read.
Image: A Maid Sleeping, Johannes Vermeer [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons
- Cataract Surgery Is Worth The Money, Doctors Say (philadelphia.cbslocal.com)
- Cataract Surgery Saves $123.4 Billion in Direct and Indirect Costs, Delivers a 4,567% Return to Society (sacbee.com)
- The cost-effectiveness of cataract surgery (medicalnewstoday.com)
- More Americans Getting Cataract Surgery (news.health.com)
- London West MPP Peggy Sattler accuses Grits of putting the healthy of their political ambitions above the health of Ontario seniors (lfpress.com)
- The Mind-Blowing Science Of Sleep (businessinsider.com)